My Mum, Sister and I dragged ourselves out of bed and made our way to the GP to have my blood pressure checked as my Ob had suggested at my last appointment on Thursday. Before we left I took a few quick Bump Pix as I had forgotten to over the weekend. We arrived on time with no dramas… little did I know what would unfold.
I had been feeling OK but I had noticed over the weekend that my legs and ankles were more swollen than normal but since I’d experienced swelling through out my pregnancy I wasn’t too concerned as I was 39 weeks pregnant and it wouldn’t last too much longer. The GP checked my blood pressure and it was 150/105. She was shocked, I was shocked and I was told to go straight to hospital and see my Ob ASAP. Oh and I wasn’t allowed to drive.
I’m nervous, scared and Steve can’t get out of work which means my little sister (who turns 21 in a week) who has never driven in Sydney or anywhere densely populated, has to drive us there. Awesome. I’m sure it had no effect on my blood pressure… but we got there safe and then sat waiting to see my Ob. Whilst I was waiting I started feeling sharp pains, much worse than any Braxton Hicks I’d experienced. Mum was getting very excited and couldn’t keep her eyes off me. Then it was my turn to see the Ob.
My Ob is wonderful. I want him to deliver ALL my babies that’s how wonderful he is. As soon as I got in his office I got another contraction and for a split second he grinned then went on to ask how I was feeling. “Scared” was my reply. I said it without even thinking. I was worried about my blood pressure, how it was affecting Aidan and what new birth plan we were about to enter into as we’d planned to induce on Thursday.
My high blood pressure combined with my excessive swelling meant it wasn’t safe for me to leave the hospital and I would have to stay the night under observation with plans for inducement or a c-section on Tuesday morning. He did an internal exam and I wasn’t dilated at all. He also checked Aidan’s position with an ultrasound and found he wasn’t engaged at all. I was scared about making any big decisions without Steve there.
He informed me that I could still go ahead with inducement but I would be strictly monitored so no water birth or even using water for pain management, I’d be restricted to the bed. There were grounds for a c-section due to my pre-eclampsia and the more we discussed the pros and cons of each the more confused I became about what was right for me and my baby. I decided to still try inducement because it gave Steve and I time. If I was to have a c-section it would have been done immediately and with Steve an hour away it wouldn’t be likely he’d make it for the birth of our son.
So after a few nervous tears and a few “god this is really happening” I was taken to pathology for even more blood to be taken then went straight up to the Maternity ward. Thankfully I had the foresight to pack my bags and have them in the boot of the car. I was taken to the shared room where I’d be spending the night and thankfully Mum and Stephanie were able to stay with me even though visiting hours were over. They were a great support. I felt bad for the other lady sharing our room as she also suffered pre-eclampsia and had been admitted for over a week and still had 5 weeks left of her pregnancy.
Once I was settled into my room I had time to relax, sit and think about our options. Ok, that’s a lie. I cried, worked myself up and begged for Steve to magically appear. Instead I called him and ran through the options and possible outcomes that were in my head. With my high blood pressure and bi-lobed placenta I decided a c-section would be the safest for both of us and Steve supported me 100%.
I rang my Ob and told him what we’d decided and our reasons why and he agreed and said it would be best for all involved but glad we’d come to the decision on our own. Not once did we feel any pressure from our Ob as he is very “Pro Natural” but was very supportive of our choice and the medical reasons behind it. As it was already after 5pm at this point and my blood pressure had stablised he booked the c-section for 7am the next morning. As soon as I hung up the phone I let out a sigh or relief. We had a birth plan and we were all on the same page.
When Steve arrived I bawled my eyes out and I could see how guilty he felt about not being able to be there for me but I understood the circumstances and never held it against him. Mum and Stephanie gave us a moment, then we went over all the details of the day again and the plan for tomorrow. Even though he knew I’d had an emotionally draining day, he couldn’t hide his utter excitement… he was about to become a Dad and it was all starting to feel real for him.
They left about 7pm, I had dinner, had a shower and got into bed. I watched the Baby Information channel for hours and cried into my pillow. I hadn’t slept apart from Steve in a very long time and I was utterly nervous about the next morning. The lady in the bed next to me comforted me through the drawn curtain and we shared our stories without ever seeing each others faces. After 3 hours of wakeful sleep I eventually took the sleeping pill the nurses had tried to give me earlier. The next thing I knew it was 0545 and it was game time.
… continued in Aidan’s Birth Story ~ Part 2