Salvos

I haven’t been Op Shopping in quite awhile. I’ve really missed it. I can’t blame Aidan for my lack of visits as he seems to enjoy them too, I think I just know myself and can’t be trusted not to return home with a car load of stuff.
I always like to ask the Staff about their favourite current pieces. Sometimes its a piece of furniture, sometimes a classic collection of perfect condition books and sometimes it’s a piece of clothing. Because they filter through everything when it arrives, they know where all the buried treasure is.
The shoes always make me feel kind of sad. Bundled up with elastic bands, scuffed and forgotten. You can always clean and press a shirt but shoes, no matter how well you clean them up, always look worn.
There are ALWAYS popcorn machines at Op Shops. Next time you go I bet there will be at least one.
I like the smell of old books, especially the rare ones that are leather bound. The childrens books are usually from my childhood and I love looking at all the old illustrations as they really inspire me.

How bizarre are these! I know my BFF over at Hello Owl loves Milk & Sugar sets and as soon as I saw this I had to show her. So retro.

The pineapple theme didn’t finish there. I can just imagine the 70′s Luau someone may have thrown. I’m pretty sure this would have been an upside-down pineapple cake tin where you put fruit in the bottom and then cake batter and once it’s cooked you turn the tin over and the fruit pieces are on top.
I was surprised to find a replica of Aidan’s Cradle priced at $45 when I’d paid only half that on ebay. It reminded me of how tiny Aidan was when he was born and I can’t wait to get it out of storage if we’re lucky enough to have another child… which we’re not planning on anytime soon.
Lastly, the abandoned toys section. This almost makes me sadder than the shoes. These toys were cherished once, some may have been lucky enough to be loved. This Dolly with her tiny ribbon roses, knotted hair and battered face was begging me to take her home and clean her up but after a few rounds with Aidan I’m sure she’d be worse off.

I’m so lucky to live in an area where there are plenty of Op Shops with quality items for sale. I ended up buying a little cotton beanie and a pair of Bonds leggings for Aidan for a total of $1. This trip really has re-lit the bargain hunting fire and I promise to take my camera along to share my treasures.

Comments

Ella says

I love op shopping as well. My favourite purchase would have to be a rocking horse i bought for my son for $5. He loves it!

Katie says

Shoes are always so sad, I agree.
    Looks like you have some treasures.
    I need to stay away from our Op shops for a while I realised the other day I'd seen the same stuff the last three visits : O

Miss Rosie says

I was at that Salvos on thursday and almost bought that cradle just because. I looked through the books for some for Kanga but none took our fancy. The pineapple pieces weren't there then. Because if they were they would have made their way back to QLD in our car :-)

Miss Rosie says

Oh forgot to ad I once picked up a pair of beautiful brand new black heels from there for $6. No marks or tags even touched. I doubt they had been tried on.

Danimezza says

Rosie, I usually go on friday to that salvos as the drop off is at lunch time and then they have to sort through it and put it all out on display. Wouldn't it have been weird if we bumped into each other.

Miss Rosie says

I was on the look out for you just in case. If I ran into someone I even thought was you, they would have got a major stream of incoherent babble, ending in "AreyouDanimeza?" said lightening fast and as one word.

Danimezza says

Ella, I'm on the lookout for a rocking horse, what a bargin!

Katie, I know EXACTLY what you mean. I'm lucky here though that they are everywhere and I have the whole of Sydney to discover yet.

Rosie, would you believe me if I told you that's happened 3 times already! It's crazy and so cool :)

Kylie says

I tried going op shopping rececently – but my pram (if it fit in the door) didn't fit down the aisle of most shops! Will have to wait until we're in a stroller I guess.