I’ve been obsessing over bags, camera bags to be precise and they’re worth a pretty penny. With the D80 I just used a black canvas satchel I got from Aldi of all places. I had a great expensive one but never used it but now I have the very expensive D700 I need to protect it, it’s my business. I think all up I’m looking at around $1000 to cover different situations and ultimately protect my gear which is worth a heck of a lot more. I fell in love with Kelly Moore’s range of bags but I wanted to stay true to my needs and not get swept up in their loveliness. In case you were wondering, this is what I want from my camera bags:
- #1: A bag to wear for local photo sessions which doesn’t require me to pack a lot of gear as well as fun trips to the city with the baby and friends.
- #2: A larger bag, more pockets which I could also use as a casual carry-on camera bag. Something that doesn’t scream “Steal me, I’m filled with expensive stuff you could flog on ebay“.
- #3: A lightweight satchel I could wear during sessions, namely weddings which would allow me to effortlessly change lenses without fussing with bulky bags and missing moments.
- #4: A ultra durable, have a million compartments, waterproof, rolling case for extended trips and weddings.
No one bag I’ve found could cover all these needs so I’ve spent countless hours weighing up the pros and cons of every bag I’ve come across. Steve doesn’t want to hear about camera bags anymore either, I think “Just make a decision” might have been what he uttered as he walked away from me, shaking his head. He’s not paying for it so I guess that’s why it’s not registering. I do think I’ve found that bags for each job and just in case you’re interested (someone has to be surely?!) two of them are actually Kelly Moore bags!!!
- Bag# 1: Kelly Boy $199
- Bag# 2: Juju Bag $249
- Bag# 3: Shootsac $199
- Bag# 4: Lowepro Runner x450 $368 or maybe: Crumpler Cork & Fork $595
The money is sitting in my account just waiting to be spent… now I just have to decide on the colours!
What is your camera bag like?