Beef & Sweet Potato Burgers
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
350g orange sweet potato, peeled, cut
into 2cm pieces
1 garlic clove, crushed
400g lean beef mince
2 tsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 zucchini, grated
2 tbsp olive oil
4 mixed grain rolls
1 avocado, mashed
Sliced tomato, cucumber ribbons,
soft lettuce and sliced red onion to serve.
- Steam or boil sweet potato until tender. Mash.
- Combine sweet potato mash with garlic, beef mince, parsley and zucchini.
- Form into 4 patties.
- Heat large non-stick frying pan. Add oil and heat.
- Cook patties over medium heat for 3-4 mins on each side or until cooked. Keep warm.
- Half the rolls and spread with mashed avocado. Top with the burgers, tomato,
cucumber, lettuce and sliced red onion.
Serve with a mixed salad using lots of shredded raw veggies.
You can make variations of this recipe for older or younger children too:
- Silky Smooth (6-8mths) – Blend 1/2 a patty additional sweet potato until smooth
- Lumpy Mushy (8-12mths) – Mash 1 patty and additional sweet potato with a fork. For younger infants you may wish to partially blend.
- Finger Food (12-18mths) – Make mini burger patties for little fingers to pick up. Serve with some grated carrot and quartered cherry tomatoes.
- Toddlers (18mths +) – Serve mini burger patties, topped with mashed avocado. Cut tomato and cucumber into different shapes.