Vanity Storage

A few months ago I was stumbling around Officeworks eyeing off all the pretty stationery and looking for storage for my desk. I was determined to conquer the mess that constantly invaded it and I was sure a simple storage solution would be the answer… I was right. Enter the Keji 5 Draw Storage Organiser $16.99. I love clear acrylic, it held lots of paper and was under $20 so I was sold.

Straight away my desk became more manageable, papers never got lost and everything looks pretty… but one wasn’t enough. I wanted another for the opposite end of my desk so I could have one for personal household use and another for blog stuff. Before I went to buy it I thought about how useful the drawers could be in other areas of my house…

My first thought was jewellery storage. The wall of hanging necklaces is getting a little scary so I bought a set of drawers for my dressing table and it now holds my brooch collection, my prized and regularly worn necklaces and a ones that could easily be damaged.

I love how accessible everything is and that even from a glance I can see where everything is because of the clear acrylic. The weight of the pieces doesn’t make a difference because essentially the drawers were designed to hold heavy paper stock.

My Pretties!

I didn’t just stop there, I was keen to see how make up would go in the drawers too. I’m proud to say it came up a treat! Everything had it’s own place and it was all so easy to identify and get to. This $17 storage solution was really winning me over.

Ok, so I could probably dedicate a whole drawer unit to my nail polish collection rather than just a drawer but to illustrate how much you could cram in there if you really tried… I’m pretty impressed. As I mentioned before the drawer unit is stable and doesn’t topple over if one or two drawers are open at once.

I sorted some of my make up by Foundation / Eyes / Cheeks & Lips / Nails / Misc and it held just enough. For my make up I use a mix of Dior (for the base) and Benefit Cosmetics (for the fun finishing touches).

oh how I love make up!

See what I mean about being able to see everything at a glance, even if what you’re looking for is shoved right down the back. I didn’t even fill this bad boy up… but I cant wait to!

Officeworks has so many gems but these are my favourites. If you’re keen to try the drawers out for jewellery storage I’d recommend the 4 Draw unit if you have a few chunky bangles or just simply need a little more height for large items. The Draw Tidy is a great idea for rings, studs, bracelets and fiddly necklaces you don’t want to get tangled and you can’t beat the price either. Better still you can order them online!

In the end I also bought another for my blogging paperwork. The drawers come with simple white stripe adhesive labels so I don’t get into the habit of just jamming random bits of paper in there. The whole unit just looks so clean and tidy, I love it. It really does come down to imagination, there are so many things you could store in it… what would you organise with it?

Comments

This is a great idea. You know, I have one of those units holding some stationary and I was only thinking the other day that I want it for my make up. You’ve pushed me over the edge. Fuck the stationary!

My sons matchbox cars! He’s only 2.5 and he’s already got more than I can count. He also wants to play with them but they end up all over the house, and so he pulls the house apart trying to find them- or even worse, trying to just find one particular car.

Allison says

I love that you can get this in clear acrylic. Much more stylish and funky than the black outer one I currently have.

I think I’m going to organise my jewellery that way too, excellent idea! I am all about the neatness and organisation at the moment, I’m ruthlessly decluttering my house. When my house is cluttered, my brain feels it.

BTW, if you are after a copyeditor, shoot me an email ;) I read *all* your posts, and I’m kickass at spotting errors. In fact, I get irrationally frustrated by them…so much so that there are a couple of blogs I can’t abide to read due to continual spelling and grammar errors, despite loving the content. It’s v. unprofessional! And don’t get me started on the Saturday papers…I’ve been known to go through them with a red pen….yes I’m a bored SAHM!!

Wow Allison, I must continually piss you off :) I’m terrible and usually it’s the most obvious things I screw up. I think I’m going to get my mum to do it, she’s like you forever correcting errors. Thanks for the offer, if it doesn’t work out with mum I might have to take you up on your offer.

Allison says

And Amy, I love your idea for the matchbox cars! With 3 boys, can you imagine how many I have in this house?!

I’m totally stealing that idea too :)

claire says

as someone with way too much make up and jewellery looking for a storage option………thank you. off to my local office works after work!

Emma says

I’ve been trying to work out how to do a wall of necklaces, could you please upload a photo of yours? I need inspiration! LOL Thanks.

Bored Law Student says

The drawers look great! Oh, how I enjoy snooping through others makeup collection. Hehe.
    I have 2 of these Keji babies- the 4 and 5 drawers for $14.99 each at my local Officworks.I have shamelessly filled both of them up as soon as I brought it home. It works a treat! My makeup fits perfectly and it looks so neat and organized :-) The drawers open and close with ease,doesn’t tug or get stuck.
    Highly recommended as a cheap and effective makeup storage that looks great too!

Bored Law Student says

I have 2 of these Keji babies- the 4 and 5 drawers for $15 each at my local Officworks.I have shamelessly filled both of them up as soon as I brought it home. It works a treat! My makeup fits perfectly and it looks so neat and organized :-) The drawers open and close with ease,doesn’t tug or get stuck.

Bored Law Student says

I have 2 of these Keji babies- the 4 and 5 drawers for $15 each at my local Officworks.I have shamelessly filled both of them up as soon as I brought it home. It works a treat! My makeup fits perfectly and it looks so neat and organized.The drawers open and close with ease,doesn’t tug or get stuck.

Seeing your Christmas cards and Journal in the first photo reminded me that on Saturday I bouhgt your Avian Friends Perpetual Calendar at Paper Source. I put all our family birthdays and anniversaries on it and I LOVE it! I looked for your journal there, but did not see it. Perhaps Paper Source doesn’t carry it, even though they carry your calendar?

Trackbacks

1. [...] Aldi. My Canon printer lives on my little op shop coffee table under my desk and two of my Kenji clear draws from Officeworks are vital for my desktop to remain uncluttered. The desk was designed by me and [...]