10 Things to Take to an Event

#1 - PENS: Don’t assume that they will be at the event, you will need one to write down product codes you love, names of people you want to google when you get home, notes of what was on the menu and writing down your details for others if you happen to loose or run of business cards.

#2 – BUSINESS CARDS: Take five times the amount you think you’ll need, it’s better to have more than less. You may be handing your card to someone and then out pops somebody new asking if they can have one as well as another for their friend who would love you… this happens more times than you’d think. Having great conversation-starting business cards is key at events.

#3 – DENTAL CARE: Most canapes are sprinkled with some kind of herb and most will get stuck in your teeth. First impressions matter so take a few moment during the event to check your teeth. I carry a packet of “Wisps” the disposable toothbrushes (which you can get almost anywhere) for when I duck into the restroom or if I get stuck I have a packet of tictacs on hand.

#4 – LIP COLOUR: You’re talking a lot, you’re eating, people are looking at your face and trying to engage with what you’re saying. Your eyes and mouth will be focus points so really make them pop with a burst of colour to stop you from looking washed out. Tinted lip balms are subtle, not too over the top and will keep your lips from getting dry. Personally I love a lip tint as the colour stays on longer and to jazz it up add a dab of your favourite gloss.

#5 – COMPACT MIRROR: Buy a pretty one because if someone busts you looking at yourself, they’ll be too busy thinking how cool your mirror is to think that you’re vain and more often than not they’ll ask where you got it from and then a potential new friendship is born. Yes, this has happened to me more than once.

#6 – CAMERA: Big/small it doesn’t matter. Try and use a handbag that can hold it all, carrying two bags is annoying and cumbersome in crowds. If you’re worried about it getting damaged in your bag invest in a camera pouch, essentially a padded bag to keep your camera safe from bumps and scratches. The Gary Fong Puffer is a great flash diffuser for DSLR cameras with pop up flash which will stop red eye and help your photos look more professional without needing lots of expensive external flash equipment, great for both day and night time events.

#7 – SMART PHONE: Make sure it’s completely charged prior to leaving and try to avoid using it too much before you get there to prolong the battery life. Pack charger if you think you’ll chew through power but be prepared to sit on the floor and look silly waiting around for a powerpoint. Be charger savvy and invest in portable chargers like Mophie who have usb key rings, phone cases and units that can charge your phone, ipad and laptop all at the same time.

#8 – SNACK: Don’t assume that the food will be good, or that you’ll even manage to get any, I’ve left events starving! Now I carry snacks like tiny teddies or a packet of apple slices from Maccas as they’re small, you can just pop them in your mouth and don’t have to be eaten all at once. Don’t put it tupperware, you want to be able to get rid of any evidence and no one want to carry around a container.

#9 – CASH: $20 is usually enough to cover any incidentals. I once attended an event that said “free drinks” only to find out that all the alcoholic drinks were free but soft drinks, juice and bottled water (no tap water available) were all $5+ each per glass and there were no ATMs. I drove to that event so needless to say I wasn’t impressed but glad I had my emergency cash on hand.

#10 – MERCHANDISE: More often that not you will leave with a swag bag full of branded goodies and media released to take home with you. Don’t think for a second that they’re the only ones who can give away things! You can distribute logo tattoos, stickers, homemade sweet treats, discount vouchers and even buttons to people you think might be interested. Bloggers aren’t the only ones who appreciate free stuff, PR’s love little surprises and always seem to remember you for them… and that’s the whole point of attending these things in the first place right?

Comments

Ooooh – I love the puffer! I want one and have drooled over the web link ;-) I’ll be showing the man when I get home!

Your business cards are lovely… what do you call yourself on them?

Just checking out the Mophie site.. .it must be fate… I was just thinking about an hour ago about portable iphone power.

errr umm there are a few things giving a basic outline of what I can do lol. Photographer, Blogger, Reviewer, Writer, Consultant… list goes on ;)

lol Tony, thanks for pulling me up on that, I didn’t realise it was so gender specific, I feel bad so here are two things you’ll need:

1) Chapstick.

2) A badass compact with skulls or dirtbikes on it… guys still get stuff in their teeth/beard right?

;)

Yep I’m usually talking or having my ear chewed off by someone who can’t tell I want to devour the buffet :P Bet you everyone will come up to me for snacks now, maybe Arnotts should sponsor me with bags of tiny teddies lol

You can get them online or at your nearest Apple store :) I’m getting the key ring next as additional back up or incase I need to save a friend.

I got that one from Lovisa but I have a few more from travels. I used to have a brilliant one with a light that turned on when you opened it but it was made out of cheap plastic and it broke. I want another one badly lol

THANK YOU FOR INTRODUCING MOPHIE TO MY LIFE! I keep forgetting to Google something like it, and now I’m taken care of :D

I love those button badges…. x

Digital Parents website usually has a list of upcoming events, as does Nuffnang and also Hello Events although theirs are mostly held in QLD. Hope this helps :)

Great list Dani! It would be handy to have that as a checklist before walking out the door…I always manage to forget something! lol.

Great list (and reminders!) Dani! I love the flash diffuser and will be hunting one down!
    With DPCON12 coming up I’ve been wondering what I could do to gain attention – I think I now have a plan – and it involves cookies :-)

Thanks so much for this Dani!!This list has arrived at the perfect time for me! Will be attending my first event this weekend in Brisbane. So excited and so nervous. Can’t wait!!

Fantastic tips, thank you! I am too, too excited now.
    Wish I got around to getting some swag organised, but it’s too late now. I remember that you were mentioned for giving out awesome swag at the last conference … unless I dreamt that LOL
    See you on Saturday!