How to Date Yourself

I’ve been sick, stuck in the house with a whining sick little boy and a mountain of housework to get through. It was Thursday night, Steve had come home early so I just decided to get out for a few hours, I needed it. I felt myself making excuses “We need toilet paper and condoms.” thinking the only way I could venture out solo was if I was running an errand…how sad. I sat on the edge of the bed thinking about time, about pleasure, about guilt and about self worth.

I decided to skip the late night run to Coles in my ugg boots and instead dress up, put my face on and go somewhere nice for dinner… all by myself. I kissed and left the boys at home for some man time and headed to Rouse Hill, did a little window shopping then headed to Sushi Bay for dinner. “Sushi for One” has never been so good.

After my belly was full and happy it was time to delve into the stores I rarely got to browse in. Aidan is pretty patient but if he even gets a whiff of my intention to enter a jewellery shop he starts dragging me in the opposite direction say “No Mumma, no jullreee no“. I don’t blame him, costume jewellery stores are like my Toys R Us, I’m in heaven. Usually Lovisa is my favourite but the current collection at Diva has got me all in a tizzy, I want it all!

Next top was Priceline, there is no way I’d ever take Aidan in (so many small breakable things at his height) so I rarely go. I’m really lucky that brands send me a lot of products to try in my own home but it was nice to wander around for an hour immersing myself. I picked up a few new false lashes because after NYC I’m addicted.

I also nabbed a bargain with this tall, metal, LED, two-sided make up mirror for just $32! I’ve wanted one for years but could never justify the price, usually $60-$120. I showed my Mum via Skype and she made me go back and get one for her too! It uses one 9V battery and the light is really bright and clear, highly recommend it.

Right next door was JB HiFi which was great because I wanted to check out the new MacBook Pro with Retina display. I found it, played with it and fell in love. Since it’s release in Australia last week the prices of all Macs have gone down, including the price of the 11″ Air that I’ve got a bit of a crush on. After I’d finished getting my geek on it was time for a little fashion on the way back to the car.

I don’t go into City Chic that often anymore, they changed the staff and it’s just not as inviting for me but when the new lingerie range was released I had to go and have a look. As soon as I saw those lacy jewel tones I knew I’d have to do a photoshoot with them similar to the lingerie shoot I did with Teer Wayde last year. I’ll keep you posted.

Last but not least, I just had to go into Typo and what should I find as soon as I walk in… fabulous coffee cups! I think every woman should own one and I truly believe every Mumma out there owes it to herself to go out on a date solo. It was refreshing to take my own time, to browse, to try things on and to stand in front of the same product for 10 minutes completely¬†uninterrupted¬†and um and ah over it, the beauty of retail therapy. I went home relaxed, happy and proud for doing something nice for myself just because and I’ve been feeling the run off effects from it ever since.

When was the last time you took time for you?

Comments

Thankfully my life at the moment is all about taking time for me. This is a good reminder to appreciate the lifestyle I lead at this point in my life and the fact that I am free to do whatever I want, whenever I want :) xx

Your solo date sounded divine. I do hope your desk now sports at ‘I am fashion’ coffee cup. Your date really sounds perfect with sushi, jewellery, and anything else that took your fancy. I’m all for ‘me time’!

I don’t have kids yet so I can shop at my leisure – I’ll have to remember that this is a luxury that won’t last forever when I find myself getting teary at being clucky and waiting another year before having a baby.

I do think taking time is so important. I have done quite a bit of it this year thanks to illnesses and a very bad back injury – I have been taking it for granted but I’ll have to appreciate the little things more.

I hope you feel better x

Unfortunately I don’t have time to myself. This year we got a Typo near us, in the same shopping centre as Lovisa, Equip, Diva and Colette, along with a hundred or so clothing stores and I’ve become addicted to buying notebooks again. Every time I’m there, I go in and see what’s on sale.

I work fulltime in the city so my lunch breaks are all mine. I sit at my desk and browse blogs, chill out on Pinterest for a while or head out and visit all the little shops that are impossible to get prams into (or small children out of, without breaking something!)

charlie says

i love typo, it hasnt changed much since we both discovered it years ago, but every now and then something amazing sings out to me and i just have to have it. those mugs are fab!!
    did you get the mirror from priceline? ive wanted one for years, i couldnt justify the price either, so for what id prefer to spend i found them at the reject shop and bigw but the mirror looked blurry and wasnt lit up, ill have to treat myself to one, cos i put makeup on in my dark house and venture outside, stopping at my neighbours car mirrors to touch up the smudges lol

i went shopping with tobias the other day, he was screaming so i took him home, dressed up and off i went, alex said “oh mummy needs me time, say bye mumma”
    i wish opshops opened at night, i wandered around probably being kept a close eye on by security as i wandered around big for 2 hrs reading cook books and trying shoes on haha

A solo shopping trip sounds divine. I just had the school holidays (I am a teacher) and can’t believe I only managed to go to the shops once! I too had a sick child at home and did not venture out much.

I am not sure what you mean about the staff at City Chic though, I love those ladies at the Rouse Hill store. I think they know my sister by sight as she owns nearly every piece they make! Ha Ha! I love to browse but find it expensive and most of it is cut wrong for my shape.

I think I need to schedule a shopping trip soon!

Elise says

Dating yourself is a true art form! Good on you for getting some time to yourself.

PS. Loving the comment about the City Chic staff change. Miss the little photo sessions on a Thursday Arvo.

Xo

Having read this I believed it was really enlightening.

I appreciate you spending some time and energy to put this informative article together.

I once again find myself spending way too much time both
    reading and leaving comments. But so what, it was still worth it!