Lunch Boxes

lunchbox

You think you have it all sorted, you have a plan and everything will just pan out as it should, but it doesn’t and you’re left standing in the lunchbox aisle pulling your hair out. That was me at 8:45pm last night, in BigW clutching the giftcard that Mum & Dad gave us for Christmas, utterly determined to make a decision before all the Mum’s come back from holidays and destroy the joint. I had 15 minutes and counting…

Aidan starts pre-school three days a week in February and I want to be prepared, I’m just like that. Especially if it involves shopping, scanning catalogues and circling things in red pen… that is totally my jam. I was all over it, I knew what I wanted and then POW I walked into that aisle and was totally blindsided. There were SO many options that I couldn’t even get them all into the one picture.

In the end it came down to what Aidan really needed. What did I need to achieve in the whole home-lunchbox-mouth scenario? His pre-school has a fridge and they requested that we don’t use cooler bags as they take up unnecessary room. That was easy and cut out almost 70% of the options. What I was left with though was a mass amount of partitioned containers, all BPA free (awesome), some watertight and most dishwasher safe. It felt like some new kind of hell.

I paniked and resorted to instagram and twitter asking for advice, then whilst I waited for the responses to flood in I called my Mum. Yep, I called my Mum to talk about lunch boxes. She muttered something about Tupperware and then passed me off to my sister. Steph helped me narrow down the endless choices and calm me down. It was so pathetic. No really, even I knew in the moment that it was sad.

I think it was the guilt, wanting him to have everything perfect to make up for the fact that I wouldn’t be there even though he wouldn’t give two shits if I was. Aidan’s so super pumped about preschool that I could send his food with him in take away containers and he’d still love me. It had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that with each aisle I went down, the more I imagined Aidan growing up, hating me, being taller than me, falling in love and leaving home… nope, didn’t even pass my mind.

lunch

In the end I bought these bad boys in two of his favourite colours for $9.98 each.

• Clip lids that he could open.
  • Liquid sealed.
  • Two large compartments.
  • Could fit an apple.
  • Dishwasher safe.
  • Freezer Safe.
  • Microwave Safe.
  • Came with a water bottle
  • and an extra small clip container.

I also snapped up textas, art books, glue sticks, school hats, packets of tiny jocks and all that other junk too. It wasn’t all bad though, before I left I did manage to slip the HBO series “Girls” into my trolley which made me feel so much better once I was home relaxing on the couch.

Have you started the “school shop” yet?

Comments

charlie says

yes i have started to buy for me for TAFE and for when little man goes to preschool, aghh scary and I was so excited to know that they couldnt fit him in untill the second week they open, it meant another day with me..well actually mum is on nanny duty that day and the days I have work prac.
    The whole thing is very daunting and a bit wasteful too, so much to buy, sheet sets for the cot, (i included a cotton matress protector too, just cos you never know what lurks in matresses), no lunch box as they provide food however I am providing one with food as he doesnt eat anything on their list which seemed to be a bit of junk food and highly processed items, so…for that list. he has the sheets, clothes, hat, organic homemade sunscreen with no nasty chemicals, shoes, pea pod nappies, water spray bottle with terry towelling wipes (this kids a bit free range compared to the other kids) but thankfully they were all too familiar with kids allergic to lotions potions and baby wipes. I bought his bottles from http://www.organickidz.com.au they are stainless steel and the bottle you start with has other attachments for when they are older including the sports drink bottle attachment for the big kids. he still uses the sippy cup stage though, and when i was at melbourne zoo i got him the stainless steel lunch box kinda like what campstores sell which is great as its small, compact and wont break or rust. it was from a company called http://www.naturallysustainable.com.au/ecolunchbox.html
    check them out!
    im sure there will still be a few other things i need to buy but for now its probably just for my lunchbox lol

I actually like those. I know Tuppaware is popular, but seriously? These do the job for like a fraction of a fraction of the cost. And the thing about Kindy/PreSchool/School? It doesn’t matter how pretty the name labels are, how Big you write his name. Stuff WILL go missing. Often it will be misappropriated by other parents. Or other kids will grab the wrong one and parents won’t bother to send it back. Or teachers/carers will mistake the lunch box, put it with the wrong kid and the parent doesn’t bring it back. You’re getting a theme?

In which case (there was a point, I swear), why spend $100 on 4 or so items that won’t make it past Term 1.

The whole lunchbox thing is totally new to me. I knew I didn’t want to spend a bundle. Now I just have to figure out what to put in the damn things lol.

Ohh Ill have to make these for my hubby. He LOVES peanut butetr cups and whines that I wont buy the big bag since all the Halloween candy is out!Thanks for sharing on Natural Living Monday!

I think I know the bitterness issue with a privoeus comment. And I am glad I caught it before making the cups. But the maple syrup (or whatever sweetener you decide to use) seperates from the coconut oil and needs to constantly be wisked or else you may get a mouthful of oil and cocoa powder Just finished making them and they are in the freezer waiting to harden! Can’t wait!!! Thanks for the awesome recipe!!! I’m crossing my fingers my husband loves them!!! I have a sneaky feeling he will!!

charlie says

the book four ingredients is a great book for sandwich recipes, and the baby version of the book has a lunchbox/in the car section which has some ideas on things to send to school frozen so they are still cold and not rotten like grapes for instance. and it has some easy snacks
    pastas, lasagnas, salads, sandwiches,grapes, vege sticks with yogurt dip, fruit, sultanas, craisons, you could also make fruit bars made with dried and fresh fruits coconut flour etc like the big rectangle ones at the servos that are called health bars, there are alot of recipes for them online, they keep well in a sealed container for 2 weeks, ive made them before for tobias and even i ate a few

As soon as I gave him the lunchbox to look at he opened it straight away, that sealed the deal for me. Struggled a bit with the bottle but go it in the end.

I did the uniform shopping this morning. I bought most of it at Best & Less and only bought the logo stuff from the School Supplier. My daughter starts Prep this year and she was lucky to get an assortment of pencil cases, lunch boxes and other stationery for her birthday (which is the week before xmas). I wouldn’t have paid for them myself but she’s starting school with a pink Tupperware lunch box and KikkiK pencil case! Lucky girl!!!

I drop a comment whenever I appreciate a post on a website or I have something to contribute to
    the conversation. Usually it is a result of the sincerness
    displayed in the post I browsed. And after this post Lunch
    Boxes. I was moved enough to post a comment :-P I actually do have some questions for you if you don’t mind.
    Could it be simply me or do a few of the responses come across like they are left by brain dead folks?

:-P And, if you are posting on additional social sites, I would like to keep
    up with you. Would you make a list the complete urls
    of your social pages like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

Nice post. I learn something totally new and challenging on sites
    I stumbleupon on a daily basis. It will always be useful to read content from other writers and practice something from other websites.